Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Must See Movies: "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind"

By Nicko

English Gazette's Rating


Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004)



Director: Michael Gondry
Genre: Drama / Romance
Cast: Jim Carrey (Joel), Kate Winslet (Clementine), Tomas Wilkinson (Dr. Howard Mierzwiak ), Kirsten Dunst (Mary), Mark Ruffalo (Stan) and Elijah Wood (Patrick).
Web: http://www.eternalsunshine.com

In this second edition of “Must See Movies” I took the liberty of reviewing one of my favorite movies. It is a 2004 film called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. It`s a big title for a huge movie.. Why is it one of my favorite movies? I can`t really say why, it just is. The first time I saw it (I have actually seen it 13 times) I saw it without Spanish subtitles so I was really lost. By the second time (still with no subtitles) I understand it and it dazzled me. I must admit it is not an easy movie to understand; the psychedelic special effects, the plot twists or its odd structure can really confuse you, but in the end this strange but brilliant flick pays off. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a movie you can either love or hate due to its complicated plotline, but once you get it the only thing you wanna do is watch it again to see all those little details that you missed. These little details are what make the film so awesome.

Like last week`s movie Little Miss Sunshine, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind has an amazing script written by Oscar winners Charlie Kaufman (Adaptation, Being John Malkovich) and Michael Gondry. It also has incredible performances by the hilarious but now dramatic Jim Carrey and by the gorgeous and talented Kate Winslet (anyone who doesn`t like Kate must be blind or have really bad taste). Another similarity between these two movies is that they were directed by former music videos directors who are now exploring cinema.

Now I`ll give you a brief plot summary about Eternal Sunshine. ESOTSM is about a couple (Joel and Clementine) who undergo an erasing-memory procedure (at Lacuna Inc. Company) after their relationship falls apart. During this particular procedure you can see their entire relationship from the moment they first met till the ending of it. I won`t tell you more, watch it.

Well, from now on I will be suggesting some songs with lyrics related to the theme of the movie, not necessarily songs from the soundtrack, just any song related to it.

Song: Before I Forget
Artist: Slipknot

ESOTSM taglines
*Would you erase me?

*Do I know you?

*You can erase someone from your mind. Getting them out of your heart is another story.

No comments: