Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Backhand or Forehand?

I would say backhand. It is harder, but once you got it is incredibly effective. But what am I talking about you may be wondering. Well, about the backhand shot in tennis.


A few weeks ago I was watching the Tennis Master Cup at Shangai, where our dear fellow countryman Fernando Gonzalez was participating. It all began quiet well; actually I would say extremely well. “Feña” Gonzalez, ranked Nº 7 in the association of tennis professionals (ATP), started the championship beating the number one in the world and probably best tennis player of all time Roger Federer. The key to winning the match was his regularity in his backhand shots. Unfortunately “El Bombardero de La Reina” (his nickname) lost his next two matches and didn’t qualify to the semifinals. Bummer.



Tennis is probably the sport that has given the most satisfaction to our country. We just have to go back to 1998 when Marcelo “Chino” Rios won the Indian wells Tournament and became the world`s number one tennis player. Never in the history of tennis had a Latin-American tennis player been N º 1. It was an historic moment in Chilean sports. Another historic moment was the last Olympics; Nicolás Massu won two gold medals in singles and doubles. Massu teamed up with Fernando Gonzalez to beat the German doubles team. Gonzalez had also won the bronze medal the day before. It was a brilliant week for them and for our country.



I`ve followed tennis for a while. It is an exciting sport and every time I watch it I feel like I’m on the tennis court playing. That`s probably why I joined a tennis course a few months ago. Just then I realized how difficult it was. I always thought it was easier and when I watched the matches I yelled at the TV, questioning how that player could`ve missed that shot. Now I see why.



Another thing about tennis that has caught my attention is women`s tennis. Years ago women`s tennis was really boring and I was not much of a follower. But since I watched a little Belgium tennis player called Justine Henin I got hooked. She just blew my away. She has such an extraordinary technique that took women`s tennis to another level. She is currently the number one player in the world and I don`t think any player is gonna dethrone her from that position in a while. Another good thing about women`s tennis is that there are some serious hotties in the circuit. I had to say that. LOL.



Tennis has become one of my favorite sports lately. The passion of the game and the rush and excitement that I feel by watching it is just addicting. Now that I’m playing it I know how hard it is but how beautiful and great it could become for me. Next Thursday I have my backhand test but I have to practice very hard because I suck big time. Maybe I`ll become the next Federer, who knows? Everyone`s got the right to dream.


By Nicko

No comments: