Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Quillota


SEPTEMBER 18TH IN MY CITY.


Every year, when September arrives it is time to return to my city, Quillota, located in the fifth region of Chile, near to Viña del Mar. People in Iquique ask me why do I leave when September arrives, and the answer is always the same: because September in Quillota is funner than in Iquique. I´m writing this to explain to people the reasons why I always return there. I return to Quillota because of El Eden Park, the games we play in the city, and because my family is there.
First of all Quillota is both a city and a country side where you have every kind of nature that a citizen needs. For example you can go to El Edén Park, a really popular place there. You have to pay to enter and this Park has all the things that a camp site has, for example, it has tables and barbecues, and you go there with some friends or your own family and barbecue while children play, running all over the Park. This Park also has electricity where people can take their own radios and play some Cuecas and start to dance while the barbecue is prepared. Also, you can rent a horse and ride along the park.
The second reason why I return to Quillota is the popular games. You can buy a “Volantin” which is really cheap, it costs about $200 pesos. Children love Volantin, I think is the most popular game in Chile when September arrives. Also in Quillota, but more specifically in Hijuelas, every year they have Rodeos. I love to go there because my mother has to go every year because it is a tradition for her so I always go with her. In the country side of my lovely city people also play antique games like “La Rayuela”, “Trompo”, “Palo encebado”, “Carrera en saco”, etc. Those are games that people used to play there and they have so much fun playing them.
The last and the most important reason why I always return there it is because there is the city where my family and friends live. With them I can go out to “Ramadas” and we can drink popular drinks like “terremoto”, “chicha”, “linterna con 4 pilas”, and “Vino con chirimoya”. Also in “Ramadas” you can eat “Anticuchos”, “Empanadas”, “Pan amasado”, and “Choripan”, etc.
When September ends and I have to go back to Iquique, I remember all the good memories that I had in my city: the barbecues, the Volantin, Cuecas, and all those elements that make me feel happy when I return to Iquique and can explain how it was there. It makes me feel happy and the only thing that I have to do is wait for the next September and return to Quillota for more fun with my family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I was excited to read your blog regarding Quillota. I will soon be visiting in March for a 2 week mission trip from Spokane, Washington, USA. We will be building a Seventh Day Adventist church, in La Palma, and organizing a Vacation Bible School for children. We are staying at the casitas at El Eden which I noted in your article, it looks wonderful.
I would love to hear more about Quillota, the people, the local places, food, and area sites. It sounds like you really love the place.
Thank you, Carole