Sunday, September 30, 2007

Welcome To The Jungle


People think that living in Iquique is wonderful and that it is the best city to live in. But let me tell you guys that I think quite differently. You might say I’m crazy, I probably am, but I would much rather live in a big metropolis like Santiago than in Iquique. I’d like to live in Santiago because of the variety of places you can visit and the artistic events in the city, and also because of the many downsides of living inIquque. Next, I`ll explain why living in Iquique sucks and moving to the capital city might be a good choice.

Santiago is a huge city with almost 6 millions inhabitants and it is considered one of the major cultural centers in Latin-American. In Santiago and in its surrounding areas you can find a wide range of places to visit where you can do many kinds of activities. Santiago has many historical and touristic spots such as Balmaceda and Armas square, La Alameda, San Cristobal hill, La Moneda, Cousiño Palace, The Municipal Theater, Central Market, and all the museums. We don`t have to forget Fantasilandia. The best thing we`ve ever had here is the Fisa. Near Santiago you have The Andes if you want to ski, Viña and Valpo if you want to go to the beach and other places really close to Santiago where you can hang out.

Santiago is full of cultural activities and events everywhere you go. There are lots of theaters and plays you can go to, tons movie theaters and flicks to choose from, and thousands of musical performances. This may be one of the main reasons why I like Santiago: the music. The best and famous music performers go to Santiago. For example, last August one of my favorite bands nowadays, The Magic Numbers, played in Santiago. They are not very well known and there wasn`t much publicity about the gig so I found out a few days before and I didn`t have the chance to go. Lily Allen, Coldplay, and Dolores O`riordan (former lead singer of The Cranberries) also performed in Santiago and because we`re so far freaking away I couldn`t go.

Don`t get me wrong, Iquique is a great city but it`s just not for me. It has its good things like the weather, the weather, and the weather, but I feel that I need more than just weather. Iquique is really small and has few places to go, we are isolated from everything, the nearest city is about 500 kilometers away, and, of course, the dirtiness of Iquique is a major issue. We cannot pretend to be a touristic city if we are as dirty as we can possibly be. I might sound kind of harsh but that is because I love my city, but we have to work hard to make it better.

If I got the chance to move to Santiago I wouldn`t think twice and I`d move there right away. There are too many things to do and too many places to go in Santiago that I think I would be busy all year long and I would never get bored. About the weather, I’ll figure something out; I’m sure I can find some cheap coats for the winter and a pair of nice shorts for the summer. As my friend Darwin once said: It`s all about the survival of the fittest.


By Mr. War

No comments: